Just a girl rambling around the globe and writing about it.

Musings from around the block and farther.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Hard Luck Cafe


Because it was our last day in Barcelona and because the kids had been fantastic travelers, trying new things and traipsing along endless streets and through mazes of underground Metro stations, I thought it might be a good treat to take them for a good ol' "American" meal at the Hard Rock. 

Two of my girls are dyed in the wool Carnivores (note the capital "C") and they are quite at home in Texas, so a burger joint was well worth the hour-long wait.

I wasn't so sure about Marlowe, whose vegetarianism has only wavered for the occasional turkey jerky. She didn't want another Caesar salad, so I ordered us both the "Veggie Leggie" burger, which the menu said was topped with grilled veggies. I'd assumed it was also a veggie patty.

My brother in law Max used to say, "If you assume, it makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me.' "

And so it was that Marlowe and I both ate huge beef burgers in Barcelona.


It seemed like a good enough idea at the time - I didn't want to send the burger back (since there were, technically, veggies ON my burger), and I could chalk it up to getting a huge dose of B12. Plus, Marlowe LOVED it. Raf snapped the shot above because we were all shocked. My dad will be so proud; I think I can hear him firing up the grill already...

The drawbacks of eating at the Hard Rock were the burger-induced stomach ache I couldn't shake the rest of that day/night and the fact at Emme put her new retainer on the table to "keep it safe" while she ate... And then we all forgot about it.

Luckily, it was a small price to pay for a travel memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment