Just a girl rambling around the globe and writing about it.

Musings from around the block and farther.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Meet Me at the Cemetery Gates

I always loved the Smiths' song "Meet Me at the Cemetery Gates," and the lyrics hounded me as Emme and Marlowe and I walked around this pretty little graveyard directly outside the fortress walls of Carcassonne. I had been hoping for some ancient headstones, and these were "only" from the late 1800's and early 1900's (through modern times), but I was somewhat enchanted by the blithely colorful ceramic flower arrangements on many of the graves -- so much classier than the silk flowers that fade in the sunlight.
So we go inside and we gravely read the stones
All those people
All those lives
Where are they now?
With their loves and hates and passions just like mine
They were born and then they lived and then they died
Seems so unfair
And I want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment